Soya Tamale Pie
Servings 6 people
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup water cold
- 3 cups water boiling
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. salt pork diced
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup green pepper
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ lbs. ground beef
- 2 cups tomato pulp no juice
- ½ cup soya grits
- chili powder
- Mix the corn meal and cold water, add the boiling water and salt.
- Cook over hot water for 1 hour.
- While the corn meal cooks, fry the salt pork until crisp.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and celery and let them cook a few minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook until it browns lightly.
- Then add the tomato pulp and let the mixture simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- To the cooked corn meal mush add the soya.
- Make a layer of the mush in a greased baking dish, set aside enough mush for a top layer.
- Fill in the vegetable-meat mixture and top off with mush.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (400° F.) about ¾ hour, or until the mush browns.
- Serve the pie hot from the dish.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #HoneybellsCookery.