Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 3½ tomatoes fresh or canned
- ¼ onion minced
- 2 tbsp. green pepper minced, if desired
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar ripe or canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. sugar for green tomatoes
- 2 cups bread crumbs soft
- 2 tbsp. butter
- black pepper to tatse
- ½ cheese grated
- 2 ½ cups corn whole-kernel, cooked
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 eggplant medium-sized
- 4 cups crookneck squash sliced
- 4 onions medium-sized
- Combine tomatoes (ripe or green), onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and sugar if used.
- Place in a baking dish alternate layers of tomato mixture and bread crumbs, ending with bread crumbs. (For a thinner mixture, omit 1 cup of the crumbs.)
- Dot with butter.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (375° F.) 20 to 30 minutes for ripe tomatoes, 30 to 45 for green.
- If desired, sprinkle ½ cup grated cheese over the top for the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking.
- Combine ripe tomatoes with other vegetables.
- Reduce tomatoes in above recipe to 2 ½ cups and add . . . 2 ½ cups cooked whole-kernel corn;
- or 3 cups shredded cabbage;
- or 1 medium-sized eggplant, pared and cut in ½ inch pieces;
- or 4 cups sliced crookneck squash;
- or 4 medium-sized onions, sliced or quartered, in place of the minced onion.
- Combine as for scalloped tomatoes.
- Cover and bake until vegetables are tender . . . with corn, 20 to 30 minutes;
- with onions, about 1 hour;
- with cabbage, eggplant, or squash, the scallop will need to bake 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the lid for the last 15 to 20 minutes to brown crumbs.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #HoneybellsCookery.