Ripe Tomato Marmalade
Servings 6 pints
- 3 qt. tomatoes about I8 to 20 medium-sized, sliced, peeled
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups water
- 4 sticks cinnamon (about 2- to 3-inch pieces)
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 oranges
- Combine tomatoes, sugar, and salt.
- Peel oranges and lemons.
- Slice peel very thin, boil in the water 5 minutes, and drain.
- Slice orange and lemon pulp and remove seeds.
- Add with rind to tomato mixture.
- Put spices loosely in a thin, white cloth; tie top tightly; and add to tomato mixture.
- Heat slowly to boiling; then cook rapidly, stirring constantly, for 45 to 60 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove spice bag.
- Pour marmalade into hot, sterile jars.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #HoneybellsCookery.